These instructions will show you how to stay safe in an air raid. Remember to stay calm and go to the nearest shelter (or house if possible). If you are too late, think differently because you can either lie flat on the ground or find the nearest ditch or hole.
If you are in a house remember to make your refuge room as safe as possible by doing things like:
- Taping up your windows
- Make barricades to stop your door from flying in
- Turn off all light sources (also known as a blackout)
- Wait and listen for the air raid siren
- Make the location of your refuge room in the basement or facing your garden
- Take lots of food and drinks as you don’t know how long you will be in there
And remember, as long as you follow these instructions (and the sign) you will survive the Blitz.